HOAC and HS2 update March 2020
As you are probably aware HS2 was due to come onsite last Autumn to start their construction works. As you may have seen they have taken considerable land around the centre but at the moment HOAC is still in-tact!
Due to the government review into HS2 all plans to move to a new site were put on hold, and we were hopeful that Boris Johnson would stop the project and we could carry on here. Now that a decision has been made LBH will now re-commence the plan to move HOAC to a new site ready for the 2021 season.
Where will we be for the 2020 season?
- We will remain at our current site and operating as normal until October 2020.
- However HS2 will take over our car-park in order to build the new Dews Lane access road.
- A new parking area has been created in the boat park area.
- During the season the rowing compound may be out of bounds for a short period whilst HS2 dismantle the existing pylon as part of their re-routing of the power cables. We will work with the rowers to enable them to continue operating. This work could take place during the week which would result in minimal disruption at weekends
- From October 2020 HS2 will start to take a larger area of site including all of our woodland.
- We are still negotiating what access we will be able to offer our members over the winter and will update you once we know.
- Once the new site is ready we will transfer our operation to the new site.
When will we move?
We plan to move over the winter of 2020-21 to be ready for the 2021 season. The exact date will be determined once we have a construction timetable for the new site.
What happened to Denham Quarry?
Hillingdon were negotiating with Bucks CC and Summerleaze for HOAC to operate there and a planning application was submitted, however more and more issues arose with the site relating to water depth, the commercial terms that Bucks wanted for the site and general access issues. Hillingdon chose to discard this plan and look for an alternative location within the borough.
Where is the new site?
We cannot announce our new location just yet, but once complete it will be able to offer all the facilities that we currently have on offer.
What will happen to HOAC over the winter of 2020-2021?
We are working with HS2 to see if we can continue to operate at weekends over the winter, however it may be necessary to have a short closed period over the winter months.
What is going on around HOAC?
HS2 have taken large areas of land as they prepare for the viaduct that will cross the lake. HOAC remains a small island as we gradually become surrounded by HS2’s works. However we will ensure that the centre is still able to operate safely. There may be short periods when there may be disruption to access on certain parts of the site.
HS2 will take ownership of the lane in March and we will need to by-pass security to be able to get to the centre. Exactly how this is achieved we haven’t yet worked out, but we will endeavour to make it as straight-forward as possible for our users.
HS2 will also take ownership of the woodland, however they have agreed for us to continue to access this to carry on our group activity and for rowers to access the rowing compound.
HS2 will also be taking the HOAC car-park. A temporary car park has been created for the season on the unused part of the boat-park.
Should I still join for the 2020-21 season?
Yes! We will be operating as normal as we can for the season, there may be some disruption during the winter and we may have a short period were we can’t operate at weekends over the winter period until this point we will be carrying on as normal. We are offering our 2 year membership deal again to encourage you to move to the new site with us. Your continued support through these troubling times is what keeps us going and also carries a lot of political clout. If we do end up having a short closed period any membership fees for that period will be carried over to the following season.
HOAC are still working to finalise all the details of the move and the new site, once we know more we will pass this on to all of our members and groups.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask us.