Here's some useful information about HOAC, such as Volunteering Opportunities and items for sale
On Mondays we are open only to organised groups and not to the general public (see exceptions below).
The Centre is open to pre-booked schools and groups from 9am–5pm daily throughout the year, plus evenings (Tuesday to Friday) from May to August.
Office hours are 9am–5pm (March to October) or 8am–4pm (November to February).
10.00am-6.00pm or dusk
HOAC hosts mixed fleet dinghy racing throughout the year. The meetings are friendly, fun and informal but competitive. Sailors of any age or ability are welcome to join in.
Weekly racing throughout the year on Sundays at 2.00pm.
Saturday 18 March 2017; gates open 10.00am.
Wednesday Evening Series
Starts 7.00pm on 3 May and runs weekly until 30 August 2017.
Sunday 14 May 2017; gates open 10.00am.
Sunday 18 June; gates open 10.00am.
Pat’s Team Race
Sunday 16 July; gates open 10.00am.
Sunday 10 September; gates open 10.00am.
QSC Pursuit Race
Not running in 2017.
Sunday 29 October; gates open 10.00am.
Boxing Day Race
Tuesday 26 December; gates open 10.00am.
Challenger Club - RYA, Sailability and BR, Rowability
The Club’s role is to encourage and support people with disabilities. We enable people of all abilities to experience the joys of sailing, rowing and paddlesports in a safe and friendly environment. Staffed by qualified instructors and volunteers, the club meets every Saturday. Groups and individuals are welcome.
The Club uses a variety of boats, including Challenger Trimarans, Hansa Dinghies, Drascombes and Kata Kanus, which are very stable boats. All specially designed for people with limited mobility. A hoist is available to enable people with physical disabilities to get into the boats. Rowing is also available in the afternoon for anyone who has physical, sensory or learning impairment
The club meets on every Saturday from 29 April 2017 to 7 October 2017 from 10.00am – 4.00pm, rowing is on from 12.30pm – 3.30pm all for a cost of £5 per session.
RYA is a Sailability Foundation Site and RYA Instructors supervise the sessions.
Registration is required!
Come down and try our new Paddlesport evenings, ideal for getting you out on the water! These informal nights can be used to improve your fitness, practise skills and have fun with friends and family.
The evenings are from 6.00pm – 8.30pm on Tuesday between 2nd May and 29th August only and Thursday between 4th May and 31st August only.
For this great price you can take out the following craft for the evening (terms and conditions apply): Stand Up Paddle Board, Kata Kanu, Row Boat, Kayak or Canoe.
SUPing, Kata Kanuing and Row Boats all require participants to be able to swim 10 metres.
Kayaking and Canoeing: both require participants to be able to swim 10 metres and to hold the BCU 1 star or equivalent (evidence is required when registering).
Please note that registration is required for all users and the 2017 Paddlesport Registration form must be completed and brought with you on your first session. Alternatively register on the night. Forms completed for under 14’s must be signed by a parent / guardian. Once completed, a user card will be issued and must be presented on every evening.
£3 Members and £6 non members (8 years +) for kayak and canoe hire
£6 Members and £10 non members (8 years +) for stand up paddleboard, kata kanu or row boat hire
1 Star Kayak Course
Adult members £75
Non members £82
(Under 18 years £75)
If you do not yet have your BCU 1 Star Award but would like to take part in Paddlesport Evenings throughout the year then this is the perfect opportunity to gain the qualification needed before it all starts!
Course dates/times: Thursday 13/20 July, 6.00pm – 8:30pm
Successful candidates will be issued with pass slips which with a £7 payment can be sent to the BCU for a certificate.
The following is a summary of the Centre rules. The full rules and regulations are available on request from the Duty Officer.
- Water safety cover is provided. However, users (including juniors) are advised that they participate in the activities at their own risk.
- The Centre has third party liability insurance cover. Users may wish to take out out personal accident insurance prior to any activity.
- The Centre accepts no liability for the loss of or damage to personal property, including money.
- All craft on the water must be insured for third party risks (minimum), have adequate buoyancy and keep at least 10 metres from the fishing banks.
- All water users must be able to swim 10 metres.
- An approved buoyancy aid with whistle must be worn at all times when on or near the water or on the pontoons.
- Blowing a whistle is the accepted call for assistance.
- Clothing suitable to the activity and prevailing conditions must be worn. This includes footwear, which must be worn at all times both on and off the water.
- Swimming is NOT allowed – unless under the direct supervision of a HOAC staff member.
- Users must notify the Duty Officer on the day of any relevant medical or physical condition that may affect their fitness to participate in the activity.
- Dogs are not encouraged and must be kept on a lead.
- Any person going on the water must either be an annual member or register as a day member with the Duty Officer. A responsible adult must supervise day members under 14.
- An annual membership card is issued in the name of the member, who must be carry it at all times and present it upon request. This card is not transferable and if lost, a £6 replacement fee is required.
This is a way by which the government increases the income of charities. It allows the charity to enhance the money you have paid by reclaiming some of the income tax. It will not cost you any extra and if you are a higher rate taxpayer you can also reclaim tax yourself.
Your email address will only be used for the purposes of future promotional information.
Photographs taken by HOAC staff will only be used for HOAC publicity purposes, and will not be passed onto third parties.
- Do you have spare time?
- Would you like to help people?
- Do you want to meet new people?
- Would you like to learn something new or share your knowledge?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, come and volunteer at HOAC!
We are currently looking for:
- Volunteer helpers to work with our Challenger Club (Disabled and Special Needs Sailing & Watersports Club).
Challenger Club is run by volunteers, ranging from qualified RYA Senior Instructors to helpers with no sailing experience. We meet every Saturday 10am – 4pm from April to October. Training will be given to those who wish to volunteer and the RYA Disability Awareness Course is free of charge.*
We are sure you will have a fun and rewarding day working with our club. Key points below:
- No previous experience necessary.
- Next training session happening in April 2017.
- All volunteers who are 16 and over will be required to have completed a criminal record check.
For more information please email [email protected] or call 01895 824171.
If you are under 16, why not check out our Young Leaders course?
*Free to those who sign up as volunteers.
HOAC Winter Clearance Sale
RS Tera (Sport) For Sale
RS Tera (Sport) – We have 8 RS Teras for sale in a range of conditions. All ready to sail. They come with launching trolley, yellow dagger boards and rudders, mast/boom and sail. Some of the sails have had mast head repairs but still usable – Priced from £300 to £500 each dependant on condition.
Oppi Parts For Sale
The following oppi parts are offered for sale:
Oppi hulls with fittings for spares or repair (x5) Open to offers
Oppi Dagger Boards (x5)
Oppi Rudders (x5)
Oppi Rigs – including mast, boom, sprit pole, sail etc. (x5) £75 but open to offers
Other Sailing Items – Open to offers
Wooden Wayfarer engine mount. Fits onto the rudder fittings. Varnished, in good condition. £40
Rudder with tiller. Not sure what it's from maybe 505 or Fireball. Old and dusty. Pictures available on request. £25
Buoyancy Aid. Large child size, black and red, water-ski type. £5
Used laser combi bag. Grey with black zip. Dusty from storage but still great item for carrying kit around in. £20
Engines For Sale
9.8hp Tohatsu long shaft – We have a 9.8 hp Tohatsu long shaft 4 stroke engine for sale. New in 2008, low hours , full service history, excellent condition but covers sprayed with primer to discourage theft. We are selling due to a change in the centres policy on rescue boats means short shaft engines are now required. Hence selling off Long Shaft. – £900 each
Windsurfing Kit For Sale
Windsurf or Kayak carrier (x1) – Good Condition, handy item you put under one end of board or sit on top kayak and you lift the other end has 2 fixed wheels – £20
4.2m Trainer Rigs (x1) – Good Condition, hardly used, good for learning to windsurf, comes with fibre glass one piece mast, sail (no boom) – £15 each
5m Trainer Rig (x4) – Good Condition, great for adults wanting to learn to windsurf, comes with fibre glass one piece mast, sail (no boom) – £15 each
4.2m Trainer Sails (x2) – Never used, non-batton sail very good condition – £15 each
We also have a selection of old broken sails which are idea for turning into beanbags and windbreaks. If these are of interest then please get in contact with us.
If you are interested in any of the Windsurfing kit please contact Sally at the centre on 01895 824171 or email [email protected]. All items sold as seen.